Northern Suburbs News
Teacher in Newtown died trying to save students
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- Several stories of courage are emerging after the heartache of the shootings in Newtown, including a teacher who died trying to save her students.
Vicki Soto was shielding the children as she tried to get them into a closet.
Her family was told that's how she died.
"Her first instinct was to protect her kids," said her cousin, James Wiltsie. "And she did that, and unfortunately she didn't survive. She lost her life doing what she loved. I don't think she would have it any other way."
Vicki Soto was 27-years old.
She was a first-grade teacher and had been at Sandy Hook Elementary for five years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos