Northern Suburbs News
Teacher in Newtown died trying to save students
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- Several stories of courage are emerging after the heartache of the shootings in Newtown, including a teacher who died trying to save her students.
Vicki Soto was shielding the children as she tried to get them into a closet.
Her family was told that's how she died.
"Her first instinct was to protect her kids," said her cousin, James Wiltsie. "And she did that, and unfortunately she didn't survive. She lost her life doing what she loved. I don't think she would have it any other way."
Vicki Soto was 27-years old.
She was a first-grade teacher and had been at Sandy Hook Elementary for five years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos