Northern Suburbs News
Teacher in Newtown died trying to save students
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- Several stories of courage are emerging after the heartache of the shootings in Newtown, including a teacher who died trying to save her students.
Vicki Soto was shielding the children as she tried to get them into a closet.
Her family was told that's how she died.
"Her first instinct was to protect her kids," said her cousin, James Wiltsie. "And she did that, and unfortunately she didn't survive. She lost her life doing what she loved. I don't think she would have it any other way."
Vicki Soto was 27-years old.
She was a first-grade teacher and had been at Sandy Hook Elementary for five years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Weather puts damper on Coney Island businesses
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Arrest made in Charles Butler case
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- Residents protest bike sharing program
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bethpage Air Show on for Sunday
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos