Northern Suburbs News
Obama to travel Sunday to Newtown
NEWTOWN -- President Barack Obama will attend a memorial service Sunday in Newtown, Conn., the site of Friday's deadly elementary school shooting.
Twenty-six people, including 20 children, were killed when a man opened fire inside the school.
Hours after the shooting, a tearful Obama said he grieved first as a father. In those remarks and later in his Saturday radio address, Obama called for "meaningful action" to prevent such shootings, but did not say what it should be.
Obama's visit to Newtown for an interfaith vigil would be the fourth time he has traveled to a city after a mass shooting.
The president had planned to travel to Maine on Wednesday for an event promoting his positions in "fiscal cliff" negotiations, but the White House canceled that trip because of the shooting.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 50 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat 48 min ago
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 41 min ago
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Secret Service investigating Target data...
50 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
50 min ago
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian...
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos