Northern Suburbs News
Mourners pray together for Newtown victims
NEWTOWN (WABC) -- All across Newtown, you will find memorials for the shooting victims. It could be a sign, a Christmas wreath, or hundreds of mourners praying together inside church, like they did at St. Rose of Lima.
The loss of one child is unimaginable, but Newtown, Connecticut lost twenty.
Words won't placate the pain, but many in the community believe prayer will.
Hundreds packed into St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church for a second night of services.
"We all home that these kids are now on their way to heaven, and there's no weapons there except for love, which is the most powerful weapon in the world," said Newtown resident Roser Calvo.
Calvo knew two of the families who lost children in Friday's shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. As a mother of four teens, she says losing a child is the worst kind of loss.
"I put them to bed last night, and many parents couldn't do that," Calvo added.
In an attempt to maintain normalcy in a place where normalcy has been shattered, churchgoers attended a Christmas nativity reenactment with heavy hearts.
"I am feeling both angry, confused and upset," said Naugatuck resident Vinay Madavusa.
At the Sandy Hook volunteer firehouse, where mothers and fathers gathered Friday to hear the horrific news, a Christmas wreath honored the victims.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos