Northern Suburbs News
Suspicious person prompts Ridgefield school lockdown
RIDGEFIELD (WABC) -- Schools in Ridgefield, Connecticut, were briefly locked down Monday morning due to reports of a suspicious person.
The person was reported near the Branchville train station, including Branchville Elementary School.
Officials say that shortly before 8 a.m., they received report of suspicious white male, wearing all black with a possible weapon. They said there was something slung over man's shoulder that the witness said looked like rifle.
Buses brought students for that school to the East Ridge Middle School, where they were put in the auditorium.
Police won't confirm details on the individual who triggered the incident, but they have identified the individual and cleared the incident.
Branchville students are now taking buses from East Ridge back to Branchville.
Earlier, school officials sent the following note to parents:
"The Ridgefield Police have notified us that the Ridgefield and Redding Public Schools are currently under lock down due to a suspicious character in the Branchville area. Local and State Police are on the scene to investigate. As a safety precaution, Ridgefield Academy has also gone into lock down and has a police presence on campus. We will provide additional information as it is available."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, northern suburbs news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 30 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend 27 min ago
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
30 min ago