Northern Suburbs News
Suspicious person prompts Ridgefield school lockdown
RIDGEFIELD (WABC) -- Schools in Ridgefield, Connecticut, were briefly locked down Monday morning due to reports of a suspicious person.
The person was reported near the Branchville train station, including Branchville Elementary School.
Officials say that shortly before 8 a.m., they received report of suspicious white male, wearing all black with a possible weapon. They said there was something slung over man's shoulder that the witness said looked like rifle.
Buses brought students for that school to the East Ridge Middle School, where they were put in the auditorium.
Police won't confirm details on the individual who triggered the incident, but they have identified the individual and cleared the incident.
Branchville students are now taking buses from East Ridge back to Branchville.
Earlier, school officials sent the following note to parents:
"The Ridgefield Police have notified us that the Ridgefield and Redding Public Schools are currently under lock down due to a suspicious character in the Branchville area. Local and State Police are on the scene to investigate. As a safety precaution, Ridgefield Academy has also gone into lock down and has a police presence on campus. We will provide additional information as it is available."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, northern suburbs news
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 16 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary