Northern Suburbs News
How to help people of Newtown
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- Many organizations are finding ways to help the people impacted by the tragedy in Newtown. Here are some of them.
Connecticut PTSA: Connecticut PTSA is working with the Sandy Hook PTA and community leaders in Newtown and Sandy Hook Elementary to offer assistance in a number of different ways.
Red Cross: Providing food, water and emotional support to families and first responders. The organization is also providing grief counseling to the community.
Save the Children: Helping families in Newtown with grief counseling and support. The organization also put out a list of tips on how to support your children through this tragedy.
Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund: University of Connecticut alumni and members of the public seeking a way to pay tribute to the victims of the tragedy are invited to contribute to the Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund. More information is available at the University of Connecticut Foundation (www.foundation.uconn.edu) website.
BEFORE YOU DONATE:
People want to help and do something, anything, but may be unsure how. There are plenty of wonderful ways to reach out, but first perform due diligence. Do some simple checking investigate before you donate and find out who or what is the recipient of your money.
If it's a large organization not known to you, check to see if the charity is registered. Some online resources tell you exactly how much the group raised and how the money was spent. But there are ways to give without spending a dime.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
The U.S. Postal Service has established a unique Post Office Box to allow the public to send condolences to those affected by the tragedy in Newtown, CT last week. Those who wish to send expressions of comfort should address them to:
Messages of Condolence for Newtown
PO Box 3700
Newtown CT 06470
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon? 40 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 37 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 54 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
59 min ago
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos