Northern Suburbs News
How to help people of Newtown
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- Many organizations are finding ways to help the people impacted by the tragedy in Newtown. Here are some of them.
Connecticut PTSA: Connecticut PTSA is working with the Sandy Hook PTA and community leaders in Newtown and Sandy Hook Elementary to offer assistance in a number of different ways.
Red Cross: Providing food, water and emotional support to families and first responders. The organization is also providing grief counseling to the community.
Save the Children: Helping families in Newtown with grief counseling and support. The organization also put out a list of tips on how to support your children through this tragedy.
Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund: University of Connecticut alumni and members of the public seeking a way to pay tribute to the victims of the tragedy are invited to contribute to the Sandy Hook School Memorial Scholarship Fund. More information is available at the University of Connecticut Foundation (www.foundation.uconn.edu) website.
BEFORE YOU DONATE:
People want to help and do something, anything, but may be unsure how. There are plenty of wonderful ways to reach out, but first perform due diligence. Do some simple checking investigate before you donate and find out who or what is the recipient of your money.
If it's a large organization not known to you, check to see if the charity is registered. Some online resources tell you exactly how much the group raised and how the money was spent. But there are ways to give without spending a dime.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
The U.S. Postal Service has established a unique Post Office Box to allow the public to send condolences to those affected by the tragedy in Newtown, CT last week. Those who wish to send expressions of comfort should address them to:
Messages of Condolence for Newtown
PO Box 3700
Newtown CT 06470
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 38 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 39 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
38 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
31 min ago