Northern Suburbs News
Westchester County won't host gun show
WHITE PLAINS -- Westchester County will not host a gun show early next year in the wake of the massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.
County Executive Rob Astorino said it would be inappropriate for the county to hold the event.
Former County Executive Andrew Spano had banned the show after the 1999 Columbine school shootings in Colorado. The ban remained in effect for more than a decade.
Astorino brought back the show in 2010.
His decision comes after Greenburgh Town Supervisor Paul Feiner called on the county to cancel the show at the government-owned building.
Westchester Board of Legislators Chairman Ken Jenkins said banning such shows at the County Center was part of the answer to curbing gun violence.
The show's promoter, Westchester Collectors, didn't return respond to calls for comment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- UK: Victim in London attack was serving soldier
- AccuWeather: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Truck driver helps catch hit-and-run suspect in Queens
- Oklahoma residents begin hard recovery after tornado
- Anthony Weiner to court voters in Harlem Thursday
- Jersey City boy killed outside home to be laid to rest
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Operation Swill: cheap booze in premium liquor bottles
- abcnews: Oklahoma tornado: Before and after photos
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures 31 min ago