Northern Suburbs News
Conn. moms push for safer gun laws
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- So many people have been wondering "What can I do?" to help people in Newtown and what can be done to prevent another tragedy.
There's a grassroots effort that's taking off, it's a call to action to make changes.
Two mothers began reaching out to their friends to try and focus their anger and angst in the wake of this shooting.
Two quickly turned to 10 and then to 250, all committed to working on the issue of safer gun laws.
"My son asked me on Friday, 'I thought it was safe to go to school, mom' and I want to be able to look him in the eyes and say, yes it is safe to go to school," said Nancy Lefkowitz, a mother.
That's why the Fairfield, Connecticut mother of three is determined to fight for change in the wake of the Sandy Hook School shooting.
Though it may not offer immediate solace like the many heartfelt memorials and flowers and cards of condolence that have necessitated a dedicated P O Box in Newtown, Nancy Lefkowitz and another local mom have made safer gun laws their targeted goal.
Specifically, a ban on high capacity ammunition magazines.
"There's a moment and the moment is right now. All eyes are on Connecticut and we have to make change and it has to be profound change," Lefkowitz said.
Following the shooting last year of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, the group "Connecticut against Gun Violence" pressed for the ban, but the measure failed.
Lefkowitz and the 250 plus people she's already rallied to the cause are pushing people to the website DemandAPlan.org to sign a petition and put elected officials nationwide on notice.
"If that incident on Friday doesn't force people to stop and say, 'Wait a minute, something's broken', then I don't know what will. I have to keep fighting for that," Lefkowitz said.
In addition to getting people signed up, and signed on to this effort, Lefkowitz and her cohorts are focusing on a March 14th rally in Hartford.
That will be three months since the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary.
For more information, please visit: www.DemandAPlan.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, sandra bookman
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos