Northern Suburbs News
Gun shows being canceled after Newtown
SUFFERN (WABC) -- Several gun shows scheduled in the area in coming months have now been canceled. Some feel it is part of the new gun dialogue.
It was the Crowne Plaza that initiated the step of canceling an upcoming event of Big Al's Gun and Premier Knife show, which was scheduled to be held at the Suffern Hotel in March of next year.
"In the wake of this horrific event, our organization has decided that we do not want to be associated with gun shows," general partner Joshua Goldstein said in a written statement,
It's a move that doesn't surprise some area residents.
"They should be canceling it around this time just like it was anything else when it was 9-11. Certain things had to be canceled because it wasn't appropriate," Kevin Cleary said.
Hotel executives go on to say, "we informed the promoter yesterday that we are no longer willing to host the event."
On the promoters web site two other shows, one in Danbury not far from Newtown, also appear as canceled.
When asked about the Crowne Plaza cancelation a person who answered the phone said, "no comment".
In nearby Suffern, others believe the timing of the events is just not appropriate.
"Because so many kids died in Connecticut, so if those guys had any heart they would cancel the show," Elsha Nelson said.
The gun shows have gained in popularity in recent years. At least one host says the events draw large crowds, even families.
One, which had been held at the Westchester County Center in previous years, will not be held next year.
Westchester County executive Robert Astorino believes that in moving forward these types of shows will have to become part of the conversation in the midst of a national gun debate.
"People have a right to attend these kind of shows and to do what an open and free society does and that is really the balance that we have to look at," Astorino said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, tim fleischer
- Newtown 911 calls released 37 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 31 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 5 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 43 min ago
- Parents plea for help to save boys from rare disease 47 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
31 min ago
- Bank forecloses on homeowner who is up to...
53 min ago