Northern Suburbs News
Gun shows being canceled after Newtown
SUFFERN (WABC) -- Several gun shows scheduled in the area in coming months have now been canceled. Some feel it is part of the new gun dialogue.
It was the Crowne Plaza that initiated the step of canceling an upcoming event of Big Al's Gun and Premier Knife show, which was scheduled to be held at the Suffern Hotel in March of next year.
"In the wake of this horrific event, our organization has decided that we do not want to be associated with gun shows," general partner Joshua Goldstein said in a written statement,
It's a move that doesn't surprise some area residents.
"They should be canceling it around this time just like it was anything else when it was 9-11. Certain things had to be canceled because it wasn't appropriate," Kevin Cleary said.
Hotel executives go on to say, "we informed the promoter yesterday that we are no longer willing to host the event."
On the promoters web site two other shows, one in Danbury not far from Newtown, also appear as canceled.
When asked about the Crowne Plaza cancelation a person who answered the phone said, "no comment".
In nearby Suffern, others believe the timing of the events is just not appropriate.
"Because so many kids died in Connecticut, so if those guys had any heart they would cancel the show," Elsha Nelson said.
The gun shows have gained in popularity in recent years. At least one host says the events draw large crowds, even families.
One, which had been held at the Westchester County Center in previous years, will not be held next year.
Westchester County executive Robert Astorino believes that in moving forward these types of shows will have to become part of the conversation in the midst of a national gun debate.
"People have a right to attend these kind of shows and to do what an open and free society does and that is really the balance that we have to look at," Astorino said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, tim fleischer
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers