Northern Suburbs News
Gun shows being canceled after Newtown
SUFFERN (WABC) -- Several gun shows scheduled in the area in coming months have now been canceled. Some feel it is part of the new gun dialogue.
It was the Crowne Plaza that initiated the step of canceling an upcoming event of Big Al's Gun and Premier Knife show, which was scheduled to be held at the Suffern Hotel in March of next year.
"In the wake of this horrific event, our organization has decided that we do not want to be associated with gun shows," general partner Joshua Goldstein said in a written statement,
It's a move that doesn't surprise some area residents.
"They should be canceling it around this time just like it was anything else when it was 9-11. Certain things had to be canceled because it wasn't appropriate," Kevin Cleary said.
Hotel executives go on to say, "we informed the promoter yesterday that we are no longer willing to host the event."
On the promoters web site two other shows, one in Danbury not far from Newtown, also appear as canceled.
When asked about the Crowne Plaza cancelation a person who answered the phone said, "no comment".
In nearby Suffern, others believe the timing of the events is just not appropriate.
"Because so many kids died in Connecticut, so if those guys had any heart they would cancel the show," Elsha Nelson said.
The gun shows have gained in popularity in recent years. At least one host says the events draw large crowds, even families.
One, which had been held at the Westchester County Center in previous years, will not be held next year.
Westchester County executive Robert Astorino believes that in moving forward these types of shows will have to become part of the conversation in the midst of a national gun debate.
"People have a right to attend these kind of shows and to do what an open and free society does and that is really the balance that we have to look at," Astorino said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news, tim fleischer
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 41 min ago
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 4 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog 12 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 53 min ago
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 11 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
16 min ago