Northern Suburbs News
Moment of silence for Newtown victims
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- A moment of silenct preceeded the ringing of bells at churches from Newtown, Connecticut to Manhattan, commemorating the moment one week ago when a gunman began a shooting rampage at an elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults.
Gov. Dannel Malloy and other officials led the moment of silence after the ringing of the bells Friday at Trinity Episcopal Church in Newtown.
The bell is ringing 26 times in memory of each life lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The gunman also killed his mother before the massacre, and himself afterward.
No formal remarks were planned Friday morning.
A bell also tolled 28 times at Trinity Church near the World Trade Center in Manhattan at 9:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 36 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
3 min ago