Northern Suburbs News
Moment of silence for Newtown victims
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- A moment of silenct preceeded the ringing of bells at churches from Newtown, Connecticut to Manhattan, commemorating the moment one week ago when a gunman began a shooting rampage at an elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults.
Gov. Dannel Malloy and other officials led the moment of silence after the ringing of the bells Friday at Trinity Episcopal Church in Newtown.
The bell is ringing 26 times in memory of each life lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The gunman also killed his mother before the massacre, and himself afterward.
No formal remarks were planned Friday morning.
A bell also tolled 28 times at Trinity Church near the World Trade Center in Manhattan at 9:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of Year 1 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen 4 min ago
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Residents warned to look out for black ice 39 min ago
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems 48 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead 23 min ago
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
39 min ago