Northern Suburbs News
Moment of silence for Newtown victims
NEWTOWN, Conn. (WABC) -- A moment of silenct preceeded the ringing of bells at churches from Newtown, Connecticut to Manhattan, commemorating the moment one week ago when a gunman began a shooting rampage at an elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults.
Gov. Dannel Malloy and other officials led the moment of silence after the ringing of the bells Friday at Trinity Episcopal Church in Newtown.
The bell is ringing 26 times in memory of each life lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The gunman also killed his mother before the massacre, and himself afterward.
No formal remarks were planned Friday morning.
A bell also tolled 28 times at Trinity Church near the World Trade Center in Manhattan at 9:30 a.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman 6 min ago
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face 31 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on joining Russia
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- LI police make arrest in string of home burglaries 12 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos