Northern Suburbs News
Journal News sparks outrage with gun database
WESTCHESTER (WABC) -- A local newspaper is sparking controversy over its take on the gun control debate in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
The Journal News printed the names of more than 16,000 gun permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties, sparking outrage and calling for readers to boycott the paper.
They also published the permit holders' addresses and a Google map to their homes.
The paper has now been inundated by angry comments, although editors say the community has a right to know who owns guns and where they live.
Protestors have responded by posting the home address and phone number of the Journal News publisher.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, rockland county, gun, northern suburbs news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos