Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut marks signing of Emancipation Proclamation
HARTFORD -- The signing of the Emancipation Proclamation was celebrated at the Connecticut state Capitol Tuesday.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman on Tuesday marked the 150th anniversary of the signing by President Abraham Lincoln, which signaled the abolition of slavery.
The event was held in the north lobby of the state Capitol. Wyman discussed how Lincoln's courage in signing the proclamation can provide inspiration and guidance today.
The celebration was sponsored by The Amistad Committee, the General Assembly's African-American Affairs Commission, the Connecticut Freedom Trail Committee and the Office of the Secretary of the State.
State Sen. Toni Harp of New Haven served as the keynote speaker. Poetry readings, performances and the ringing of the Capitol's Liberty Bell replica were planned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall