Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut marks signing of Emancipation Proclamation
HARTFORD -- The signing of the Emancipation Proclamation was celebrated at the Connecticut state Capitol Tuesday.
Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman on Tuesday marked the 150th anniversary of the signing by President Abraham Lincoln, which signaled the abolition of slavery.
The event was held in the north lobby of the state Capitol. Wyman discussed how Lincoln's courage in signing the proclamation can provide inspiration and guidance today.
The celebration was sponsored by The Amistad Committee, the General Assembly's African-American Affairs Commission, the Connecticut Freedom Trail Committee and the Office of the Secretary of the State.
State Sen. Toni Harp of New Haven served as the keynote speaker. Poetry readings, performances and the ringing of the Capitol's Liberty Bell replica were planned.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos