Northern Suburbs News
Burglary suspect found on toilet, claiming to be victim
BRIDGEPORT (WABC) -- Police in Connecticut have two men in custody in connection with a break-in that ended with one of the suspects found sitting on a toilet.
Officers responded to a report of a burglary on Englewood Avenue in Bridgeport around 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Authorities say one officer climbed through the same window that had reportedly been forced open by the burglars and then opened the back door for other officers.
Police began a room-by-room search and stopped when they encountered a closed door. Inside, they found 34-year-old Samuel Sanders sitting on the toilet, claiming to be a victim.
Sanders apparently told officers that the homeowner let him stay there, but his story fell apart when the owner denied knowing who he was.
Officers found snow tracks leading away from the backyard of the property, which led to 38-year-old Johnnie Newkirk. He was arrested a few blocks away.
Police say they recovered a pillowcase filed with items stolen from the apartment.
Both men are charged with second-degree burglary, possession of burglary tools and interfering with police.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bridgeport, connecticut, burglary, northern suburbs news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos