Northern Suburbs News
Suspicious man prompts lockdown at Mamaroneck schools
MAMARONECK (WABC) -- Police are investigating what they described as a suspicious incident that prompted Mamaroneck Union Free School District to lock down all schools on Thursday.
Authorities said a man attempted to enter the locked side door of the Hommocks Middle School Thursday morning.
Police said the man asked to retrieve an item he left in the pool over the weekend.
A staff member noticed what appeared to be a gun in his waistband, officials said. He asked the man if he had a gun and the man replied yes, and stated he worked in the security field.
The man was told he was not allowed to be on school property with a weapon and left immediately.
Police were called and responded immediately. Police have been dispatched to all four schools. Parents were asked not come to pick up their children until the end of the school day.
The campus employee he spoke with described the interaction as pleasant. Police are looking to speak with the individual.
He was wearing a black North Face jacket, he is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and speaks with an Irish accent.
All afternoon and evening activities at all of Mamaroneck schools were canceled on Thursday.
The district said it plans to have a police presence at schools for the start of the day on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 35 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
7 min ago