Northern Suburbs News
Controversy surrounds gun show in Stamford
STAMFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- A gun show goes on in Connecticut this weekend despite controversy just three weeks after the Sandy Hook school shooting.The "East Coast Fine Arms Show" began Saturday and continues Sunday at a hotel in Stamford, about 30 miles away from Newtown. The advertisement for the show running this past week in the Stamford Advocate sparked outrage, when it ran on the same page as a story about the Newtown shooting. Stamford's mayor asked the show's organizers to cancel or postpone, but they declined. Two years ago, Eyewitness News previewed a show by the same promoters in White Plains.
But Westchester's County executive has already cancelled next month's event at the county center.
In Stamford, the show is being held at a private venue, The Crown Plaza Hotel.
Speaking of the hotel, management acknowledges it has received a number of phone calls from people angry the event is being held there.
Police say promoters have hired extra off-duty officers to work security and that on-duty cops will be stopping by as well.
Police and promoters point out that assault type weapons are not sold at the show which features mainly high end antique and collectible firearms.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
gun, stamford, northern suburbs news, marcus solis
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos