Northern Suburbs News
Utica man sentenced for fatal shooting
UTICA, NY -- A 31-year-old upstate New York man who started a fight that resulted in a fatal shooting has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.
The Utica Observer-Dispatch reports (http://bit.ly/TBoXQ8 ) that Octavius Garrett was sentenced Friday in Oneida County Court, where he had previously pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter.
Prosecutors say Garrett was fighting with 24-year-old Anthony Garner on a Utica street in May 2011 when two of Garrett's friends joined in and Garner was shot to death.
A jury convicted 32-year-old Marshall Jackson of murder. He's serving 25 years to life in prison. The other man, 28-year-old Dominique Cook, is set to be sentenced Jan. 18. He pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree murder in a deal that will send him to prison for 15 years.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
northern suburbs news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Tornado Warning: Dutchess County 30 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- NYPD detective accused of hacking, spying on associates
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- Super Bowl 50 goes to San Francisco
- Microsoft reveals Xbox One 53 min ago
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- Crews race to find survivors after Oklahoma...
26 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos