Northern Suburbs News
Vote set to name Stratford school for slain teacher
STRATFORD -- A proposal to name a school after a teacher killed in the Newtown, Connecticut, school shootings is set to go before a town council.
Stratford Mayor John Harkins is recommending naming a new elementary school named after Victoria Soto, a 27-year-old Stratford resident who died trying to shield her students from the gunman inside Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooter killed 20 children and six women at the school on Dec. 14 before committing suicide.
The Town Council is scheduled to vote on the name of the school Monday night, exactly one month after the shootings.
The mayor also is hoping to build a memorial to Soto, and a petition has been started to rename a local street after her.
Soto graduated from Stratford High School in 2003.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane 54 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns 17 min ago
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning 34 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 50 min ago
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
13 min ago