Northern Suburbs News
Newtown group to launch prevention initiative
NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A group in Newtown is launching a grassroots initiative in response to last month's school shooting to prevent similar tragedies.
Sandy Hook Promise, formerly known as Newtown United, plans to announce the initiative Monday.
The group said Friday it invited victim family members to the event.
A co-founder of the group, Tim Makris, said he doesn't have a count of how many families might participate.
He said the families are at varying stages of grief and recovery, and some may never want to discuss the issues.
A gunman shot his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14 and killed 20 first-graders and six women before committing suicide as police arrived. He also killed his mother before driving to the school and carrying out the massacre.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases