Northern Suburbs News
Young mother beaten allegedly by mob of girls
NEW WINDSOR, N.Y. (WABC) -- A young mother is left bruised and beaten at a bus stop, after she was attacked by a group of young girls.
Police say it's done for fun. It's called "mobbing" or "popping" depending on whether it's a mom or dad who's attacked.
The mother now has a possible concussion.
"They just started punching you?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Yeah," said Paola Neri, the victim said.
Paola Neri says they jumped her.
"I tried to cover my head," Neri said.
Three kids, barely teenagers, two 13-year-olds and a 12-year-old, so brutally attacked the 34-year-old mom that she says she blacked out.
"They didn't say anything, they were laughing while they were doing it," Neri said.
The beating happened Tuesday morning as she was dropping her 8-year-old daughter off at her bus stop.
Just as little Melanie was about to step onto her bus, her mom was blindsided at the corner of Ledyard and 9W.
They allegedly grabbed her hair, threw her to the ground, dragged her on the ground and punched her.
Detective Chris Sager is with New Windsor Police.
"This random act of violence I think makes anyone unsettled," Detective Sager said.
They arrested the young suspects after the attack.
He says they confessed.
"When they were interviewed they used the term "mobbing and popping". It's more like a school like bullying term," Det. Sager said.
Mobbing and popping are bullying terms and are usually groups of kids ganging up on other teens.
In an incident in Philadelphia, police say a mob of eight to 10 teens pummeled up a 16-year-old girl, kicking her and punching her.
Police say the New Windsor case is a first for the town.
The young suspects have been charged with gang assault for the attack on a victim.
"I saw a little bit of it," Melanie said.
"As you were getting on the bus?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Yup," Melanie replied.
Paola Neri was simply sending her daughter off to school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
assault, orange county, northern suburbs news, jeff pegues
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
27 min ago