Northern Suburbs News
Firefighters battle flames, cold in Yonkers fire
YONKERS (WABC) -- A second-alarm fire burned through a Yonkers apartment building early Wednesday, leaving at least 20 homeless.
The fire broke out on the top floor of a four-story building on Hawthorne Avenue just after 12:30 a.m.
Between 20 to 25 occupants of nine apartments were left homeless.
The residents were not allowed back into the building because of icy stairs and water damage caused by freezing temperatures.
Firefighters were also treated at the scene for exposure to the cold conditions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, fire, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 27 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos