Northern Suburbs News
Man charged with murder in '04 asphalt toss death
WESTCHESTER -- A Yonkers man has been accused of killing a woman by throwing a chunk of asphalt through her windshield from a highway overpass.
The Westchester district attorney says 26-year-old Alberto Plasencia has been charged with second-degree murder.
He was arrested Tuesday, nearly nine years after the fatal crash.
Marie McSweeney, of Queens, was driving south on the Sprain Brook Parkway when a chunk of asphalt 10 inches long slammed through her windshield and hit her in the head in 2004.
The car crashed and the 48-year-old McSweeney was killed. Her 87-year-old mother survived.
The district attorney's office says new information came to light in 2009 that led to Plasencia's arrest. A spokesman would not elaborate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, murder, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Liam Neeson to tour stables in NYC carriage horse debate
- Stage collapses at California high school; dozens hurt 40 min ago
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Here and Now
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams