Northern Suburbs News
Man charged with murder in '04 asphalt toss death
WESTCHESTER -- A Yonkers man has been accused of killing a woman by throwing a chunk of asphalt through her windshield from a highway overpass.
The Westchester district attorney says 26-year-old Alberto Plasencia has been charged with second-degree murder.
He was arrested Tuesday, nearly nine years after the fatal crash.
Marie McSweeney, of Queens, was driving south on the Sprain Brook Parkway when a chunk of asphalt 10 inches long slammed through her windshield and hit her in the head in 2004.
The car crashed and the 48-year-old McSweeney was killed. Her 87-year-old mother survived.
The district attorney's office says new information came to light in 2009 that led to Plasencia's arrest. A spokesman would not elaborate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, murder, northern suburbs news
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire 5 min ago
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out 15 min ago
- Brooklyn school officials face discipline for not reporting...
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog 35 min ago
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos