Northern Suburbs News
Man charged with murder in '04 asphalt toss death
WESTCHESTER -- A Yonkers man has been accused of killing a woman by throwing a chunk of asphalt through her windshield from a highway overpass.
The Westchester district attorney says 26-year-old Alberto Plasencia has been charged with second-degree murder.
He was arrested Tuesday, nearly nine years after the fatal crash.
Marie McSweeney, of Queens, was driving south on the Sprain Brook Parkway when a chunk of asphalt 10 inches long slammed through her windshield and hit her in the head in 2004.
The car crashed and the 48-year-old McSweeney was killed. Her 87-year-old mother survived.
The district attorney's office says new information came to light in 2009 that led to Plasencia's arrest. A spokesman would not elaborate.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
westchester county, yonkers, murder, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted 24 min ago
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 20 min ago
- Budget vote approved in the House 47 min ago
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees