Northern Suburbs News
Biden heading to Virginia to push gun control
OREGON -- Vice President Joe Biden is taking the White House's campaign for gun control on the road to Virginia.
Biden plans a roundtable discussion Friday in Richmond with experts who worked on gun safety following the 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech.
President Barack Obama wants Congress to require background checks for all gun sales and ban both military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. The president concedes passage will be difficult, but he also will travel to push the plan. His destinations have yet to be announced.
Virginia has an avidly pro-gun tradition, but lawmakers have been debating a bill to require that private sellers conduct criminal background checks on buyers at gun shows. The current law only requires dealers to conduct the checks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- At least 2 dead, 18 hurt in East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 14 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase