Northern Suburbs News
Connecticut flu deaths increase to 17
HARTFORD, Conn. (WABC) -- Connecticut health officials say 11 more flu deaths have been reported in the state over the past week, bringing the total to 17 in the current flu season.
The Department of Public Health says 15 of the people who died were 65 or older and two were between 55 and 64.
Health officials issued a new weekly report Thursday saying the number of confirmed flu cases is 3,248, with hundreds of additional cases expected to be tested in the upcoming weeks.
Fairfield County has the most confirmed flu cases with 902, while Tolland County has the least with 106.
Health officials say they've also seen a large increase in the number of people hospitalized with flu-associated illness. They say 1,355 people are being treated in hospitals for flu-associated illness.
Nationwide, new government figures show that flu cases seem to be leveling off nationwide. Flu activity is declining in most regions although still rising in the West.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says hospitalizations and deaths spiked again last week, especially among the elderly. The CDC says quick treatment with antiviral medicines is important, in particular for the very young or old. The season's first flu case resistant to treatment with Tamiflu was reported Friday.
Eight more children have died from the flu, bringing this season's total pediatric deaths to 37. About 100 children die in an average flu season.
There is still vaccine available although it may be hard to find. The CDC has a website that can help.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, flu, flu vaccine, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 16 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House 44 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 56 min ago
- Budget bill heads to the Senate 38 min ago
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees