Northern Suburbs News
Snow, sleet, create icy conditions on roads
KATONAH, N.Y. (WABC) -- The snow and ice caused many schools to dismiss students early.
What a way to start the final Monday of January, a half-day of school.
"When I get home me and my brother are going to have a stuffed animal tea party," said Jane Prusko, a student.
Superintendents throughout northern Westchester, Putnam and Rockland Counties ordered early dismissals for students and teachers, this after a late morning snowfall left roads wet and slippery.
"You don't question the decision?" Eyewitness News asked.
"No, and they got stuck on the bus until 9 p.m. in October so I think they are just being safe on that," said Jim Prusko, a parent.
"I have five kids. We're probably going to have 10 at our house sleigh riding so come on over! Last time we had snow we had 20 kids," said Catharine Oestreicher, a parent.
With school buses off the roads earlier than normal, public works crews got busy loading up and heading out to spread a layer of salt.
They hope to keep the freezing rain from turning into a layer of ice.
"That's when road conditions can get tough. Make sure we have our trucks out and have salt and sand on the road for good traction and to stop the freezing," said Kevin Winn, Bedford Commissioner of Public Works.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
putnam county, rockland county, westchester county, snow, snow removal, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos