Northern Suburbs News
Snow, sleet, create icy conditions on roads
KATONAH, N.Y. (WABC) -- The snow and ice caused many schools to dismiss students early.
What a way to start the final Monday of January, a half-day of school.
"When I get home me and my brother are going to have a stuffed animal tea party," said Jane Prusko, a student.
Superintendents throughout northern Westchester, Putnam and Rockland Counties ordered early dismissals for students and teachers, this after a late morning snowfall left roads wet and slippery.
"You don't question the decision?" Eyewitness News asked.
"No, and they got stuck on the bus until 9 p.m. in October so I think they are just being safe on that," said Jim Prusko, a parent.
"I have five kids. We're probably going to have 10 at our house sleigh riding so come on over! Last time we had snow we had 20 kids," said Catharine Oestreicher, a parent.
With school buses off the roads earlier than normal, public works crews got busy loading up and heading out to spread a layer of salt.
They hope to keep the freezing rain from turning into a layer of ice.
"That's when road conditions can get tough. Make sure we have our trucks out and have salt and sand on the road for good traction and to stop the freezing," said Kevin Winn, Bedford Commissioner of Public Works.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
putnam county, rockland county, westchester county, snow, snow removal, northern suburbs news, joe torres
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside! 53 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 12 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced