Northern Suburbs News
Knicks host Sandy Hook kids, families Saturday
NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks hosted 150 children, their families and teachers from Sandy Hook Elementary School on Saturday when they play the Sacramento Kings.
Twenty or more children from the Newtown Choir from Sabrinas Encore Products sang the national anthem before the game, the second time this week the Knicks and children from the devastated community about 90 minutes away will be together.
The Knicks organization on Tuesday visited Newtown, where 20 children and six adults were shot and killed at the school in December.
The team, the Knicks City Dancers and Madison Square Garden's Garden of Dreams Foundation hosted 400 children from Sandy Hook Elementary (now Chalk Hill Elementary) and their families at the Newtown Youth Academy in what was called a "Knicks Family Fun Day" event.
"It was fun," Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony said. "We went out there (and) it was just good to see a lot of people smile all over again. Just to be doing the things that we were doing - playing the games, playing basketball with them, just making people smile and feel happy about themselves."
There were basketball drills and contests, along with other activities such as a magician, face painters and balloon makers in a carnival-type setting.
"That was great," Knicks forward Amare Stoudemire said. "We were there pretty much just wanting to put smiles and hope back in the families faces. It was an awesome event. Great for us to interact with the families there. That was great for them."
A month after the killings, children from the choir who will perform recorded "Sandy Hook: Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Proceeds from the sale of the song will benefit the Newtown Youth Academy and the United Way of Western Connecticut.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed 29 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery 32 min ago
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining 57 min ago
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 52 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Hospital warns of possible blood...
34 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick...
32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
17 min ago
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and...
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos