Northern Suburbs News
UPDATE: 2 dead in New City accident
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Two people were killed in a car accident on Strawtown Road in New City late Sunday night.
The force of the crash was so strong that it split the car in two pieces after slamming into trees and bushes.
The wreckage was scattered across a nearby lawn.
The accident happened at the corner of Strawtown Road and Cairnsmuir Lane in New City around 11:25 Sunday night.
Both victims were pronounced at the scene. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and was identified as Esmin Ljesnjanin, 23 from Congers, NY. The front seat passenger was found still seat belted into his seat and was identified as Gjon Kolnrekaj, 26, from Congers, NY.
Investigators say that it appears the 2007 Nissan Altima may have been travelling north on Strawtown Road, crossed over into the southbound lane, struck a street sign on the north west corner at the intersection of Cairnsmuir Lane, then continued on striking a tree and then the house located at 112 Strawtown Road, causing minor damage to the house.
They say the cause of the accident and any contributing factors are unknown.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, accident, northern suburbs news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway