Northern Suburbs News
UPDATE: 2 dead in New City accident
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Two people were killed in a car accident on Strawtown Road in New City late Sunday night.
The force of the crash was so strong that it split the car in two pieces after slamming into trees and bushes.
The wreckage was scattered across a nearby lawn.
The accident happened at the corner of Strawtown Road and Cairnsmuir Lane in New City around 11:25 Sunday night.
Both victims were pronounced at the scene. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and was identified as Esmin Ljesnjanin, 23 from Congers, NY. The front seat passenger was found still seat belted into his seat and was identified as Gjon Kolnrekaj, 26, from Congers, NY.
Investigators say that it appears the 2007 Nissan Altima may have been travelling north on Strawtown Road, crossed over into the southbound lane, struck a street sign on the north west corner at the intersection of Cairnsmuir Lane, then continued on striking a tree and then the house located at 112 Strawtown Road, causing minor damage to the house.
They say the cause of the accident and any contributing factors are unknown.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, accident, northern suburbs news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Man charged with fatally shooting wife in Queens
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon 19 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Photos: Easter 2014 Around the World
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
53 min ago