Northern Suburbs News
Fairfield couple named 'longest married' in US
FAIRFIELD -- John and Ann Betar of Connecticut have been married so long they're getting national recognition.
The Fairfield spouses, who tied the knot more than 80 years ago, have been named the 2013 "longest married couple" in the United States by Worldwide Marriage Encounter, a group in San Bernardino, Calif., dedicated to improving Christian marriages.
The Betars will be presented with the honor and gifts at their granddaughter's home in Fairfield on Saturday.
Worldwide Marriage Encounter says the longest married couple is based on nominations, so there may be others who have been married longer.
John is 101 years old and Ann is 97. The two grew up as neighbors in Bridgeport and got married on Nov. 25, 1932. They have five children, 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
fairfield, connecticut, northern suburbs news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 36 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 30 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 23 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park