Northern Suburbs News
Snow brings travel problems to the Hudson Valley
FAIRFIELD (WABC) -- Heavy snow caused serious travel problems across the Hudson Valley.
The MTA canceled Metro-North service for the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines because officials were worried about trains getting stuck in this blizzard.
Workers also needed to use plows to begin clearing the snow from the tracks.
By early Saturday afternoon, Metro North had resumed service on the New Haven line, but only to Stamford.
Driving conditions were also terrible, as officials urged everyone to just stay at home. Those who ventured out faced challenges.
"My car ran off the road, so I had to get it towed," driver Kirsten Halbach said.
The roads proved too risky for Halback, as her car slid off I-87.
In addition to the trains, bus service was also curtailed. The Tappan Zee Express, which ferries commuters across the bridge to Rockland County, was suspended.
Earlier, New York closed Interstate 84 to truck traffic between Pennsylvania and Connecticut because of the snow storm pelting the northeast.
The truck ban on the 70-mile stretch of highway was lifted late Saturday morning.
Police say all motorists should drive with caution and avoid unnecessary travel. Up to 2 feet of snow fell in some parts of New York by the time the storm wound down Saturday.
Check conditions by calling the state's free 511 information system or on the web at 511NY.org
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
poughkeepsie, dutchess county, snow, snow removal, snow storm, northern suburbs news
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 1 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 16 min ago
- Missing jet drastically veered off course 13 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos