Northern Suburbs News
Bridgeport Schools closed for rest of the week
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WABC) -- Bridgeport still has many roads in an impassable condition, forcing Bridgeport Schools to close for the rest of the week.
Streets are tough, but sidewalks are tougher.
They are too dangerous for kids to make it school safely.
City plow truck drivers with the help of private contractors Wednesday almost doubled the number of passable streets in 24 hours.
Still nearly 40 percent of streets are still impassable and the sidewalks are even worse.
It's forcing Bridgeport Public Schools to stay closed.
"It's been fun a lot of fun. I'm going sledding again tomorrow and have a snow ball fight," said Mykkaja Holbrook, a student.
Mykkaja Holbrook and her friends say they're thrilled to have more snow days.
Bridgeport schools will remain closed this week and will have winter break next week.
Superintendent Paul Vallas says they're working with the teachers union.
One possible solution to missed learning is to extend the school year and the school day.
"The sidewalks are still covered with snow. Most of our kids walk to school. We run the risk of kids being obscured by five, six foot snow mounds and that could be dangerous. We don't want to place our children at risk," Vallas said.
Parents like Hanson Sierra applaud the school district for keeping kids safe, but skewered the city for its response to the clean up.
"It's sad these kids look forward to going to school. And I think if the job was done better and reacted faster during the storm, these kids would have been back to school this week," Sierra said.
Mayor Finch responded to the criticism by releasing a statement saying, "This has been an historic snowstorm, the most snow the City has received in a 24-hour period. We are working diligently to clean the streets, and we appreciate everyone's cooperation."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
bridgeport, connecticut, snow removal, snow, northern suburbs news, carolina leid
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench 44 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Thunderstorms
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Arrest in deadly stabbing of livery cab driver
- Stabbing reported near Times Square
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street foiled 32 min ago
- FBI releases new footage in Times Square bomb
- LIRR cancels 21 trains for evening rush
- Body found in lake where Conn. photographer went missing
- Chrysler agrees to recall Jeeps at risk of fire
- Leonia firehouse shut in wake of sex assault
- Photos: Hong Kong-Newark Plane disturbance
- Photos: Miss Connecticut crowned Miss USA
- NSA director says plot against Wall Street...
32 min ago