Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman, adult disabled daughter die in fire
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Police are investigating a deadly fire that claimed the life of two people in Rockland County early Thursday.
An elderly woman and her adult disabled daughter died after flames engulfed their Stratford Place home in New City just after midnight.
Police identified the victims as 79-year-old Barbara Calise and 54-year-old Yvonee Calise.
It took roughly 100 firefighters almost an hour to get the fire under control.
Authorities believe the fire started in the basement and do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation. Officials said there is no evidence of working smoke detectors in the home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, fire, deadly fire, northern suburbs news
- Teen clerk beaten in deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 45 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos