Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman, adult disabled daughter die in fire
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Police are investigating a deadly fire that claimed the life of two people in Rockland County early Thursday.
An elderly woman and her adult disabled daughter died after flames engulfed their Stratford Place home in New City just after midnight.
Police identified the victims as 79-year-old Barbara Calise and 54-year-old Yvonee Calise.
It took roughly 100 firefighters almost an hour to get the fire under control.
Authorities believe the fire started in the basement and do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation. Officials said there is no evidence of working smoke detectors in the home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, fire, deadly fire, northern suburbs news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area 2 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 3 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 3 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 17 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow 32 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 26 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
17 min ago
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
2 min ago