Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman, adult disabled daughter die in fire
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Police are investigating a deadly fire that claimed the life of two people in Rockland County early Thursday.
An elderly woman and her adult disabled daughter died after flames engulfed their Stratford Place home in New City just after midnight.
Police identified the victims as 79-year-old Barbara Calise and 54-year-old Yvonee Calise.
It took roughly 100 firefighters almost an hour to get the fire under control.
Authorities believe the fire started in the basement and do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation. Officials said there is no evidence of working smoke detectors in the home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, fire, deadly fire, northern suburbs news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos