Northern Suburbs News
Elderly woman, adult disabled daughter die in fire
NEW CITY (WABC) -- Police are investigating a deadly fire that claimed the life of two people in Rockland County early Thursday.
An elderly woman and her adult disabled daughter died after flames engulfed their Stratford Place home in New City just after midnight.
Police identified the victims as 79-year-old Barbara Calise and 54-year-old Yvonee Calise.
It took roughly 100 firefighters almost an hour to get the fire under control.
Authorities believe the fire started in the basement and do not believe it to be suspicious at this time.
The cause is under investigation. Officials said there is no evidence of working smoke detectors in the home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, fire, deadly fire, northern suburbs news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos