Northern Suburbs News
New Paltz parents seek homework break for kids
NEW PALTZ -- Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone during vacations.
That's the message some Hudson Valley parents are sending to educators in their school district in asking for a moratorium on homework assignments during school breaks and extended holidays.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that parents are circulating a petition to the superintendent and high school and middle school principals in New Paltz in Ulster County, 75 miles north of New York City. The petition asks that no homework be assigned over breaks and holidays.
So far, the petition has garnered more than 50 online signatures.
Supporters say breaks from homework will ease stress on students. Claudia Forest, mother of a 10th-grader at New Paltz High School, says excessive homework requirements are crowding out other possibilities for her daughter to lead a balanced life.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new paltz, ulster county, northern suburbs news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos