Northern Suburbs News
New Paltz parents seek homework break for kids
NEW PALTZ -- Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone during vacations.
That's the message some Hudson Valley parents are sending to educators in their school district in asking for a moratorium on homework assignments during school breaks and extended holidays.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports that parents are circulating a petition to the superintendent and high school and middle school principals in New Paltz in Ulster County, 75 miles north of New York City. The petition asks that no homework be assigned over breaks and holidays.
So far, the petition has garnered more than 50 online signatures.
Supporters say breaks from homework will ease stress on students. Claudia Forest, mother of a 10th-grader at New Paltz High School, says excessive homework requirements are crowding out other possibilities for her daughter to lead a balanced life.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new paltz, ulster county, northern suburbs news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash