Northern Suburbs News
New City woman stabs daughter, then kills herself
NEW CITY -- A 7-year old girl is in stable condition after being stabbed by her mother who then took her own life at their home in New City.
Clarkstown police said Ava Sangavaram and her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, were discovered Thursday by the girl's father, Dr. Kristappa Sangavaram.
Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said the father, an anesthesiologist, called 911 at 1:09 p.m. She said no suicide note was found.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Vovchik sand Sangavarm both practiced in New Jersey and co-owned their Rockland County home in New City. Police said there was no history of domestic dispute calls at the house.
Ava attends Woodglen Elementary School in New City. The school said grief counselors would be at the school on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, stabbing, northern suburbs news
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Sunday's Yankees vs. Jays game postponed due to weather 4 min ago
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 3 in custody in connection to Yonkers man's death 2 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- President Obama gives speech to Morehouse graduates 7 min ago
- Metro North trains being removed from accident scene
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport