Northern Suburbs News
New City woman stabs daughter, then kills herself
NEW CITY -- A 7-year old girl is in stable condition after being stabbed by her mother who then took her own life at their home in New City.
Clarkstown police said Ava Sangavaram and her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, were discovered Thursday by the girl's father, Dr. Kristappa Sangavaram.
Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said the father, an anesthesiologist, called 911 at 1:09 p.m. She said no suicide note was found.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Vovchik sand Sangavarm both practiced in New Jersey and co-owned their Rockland County home in New City. Police said there was no history of domestic dispute calls at the house.
Ava attends Woodglen Elementary School in New City. The school said grief counselors would be at the school on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, stabbing, northern suburbs news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 28 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired 8 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 9 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 53 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 1 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 13 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos