Northern Suburbs News
New City woman stabs daughter, then kills herself
NEW CITY -- A 7-year old girl is in stable condition after being stabbed by her mother who then took her own life at their home in New City.
Clarkstown police said Ava Sangavaram and her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, were discovered Thursday by the girl's father, Dr. Kristappa Sangavaram.
Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said the father, an anesthesiologist, called 911 at 1:09 p.m. She said no suicide note was found.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Vovchik sand Sangavarm both practiced in New Jersey and co-owned their Rockland County home in New City. Police said there was no history of domestic dispute calls at the house.
Ava attends Woodglen Elementary School in New City. The school said grief counselors would be at the school on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, stabbing, northern suburbs news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
59 min ago