Northern Suburbs News
New City woman stabs daughter, then kills herself
NEW CITY -- A 7-year old girl is in stable condition after being stabbed by her mother who then took her own life at their home in New City.
Clarkstown police said Ava Sangavaram and her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, were discovered Thursday by the girl's father, Dr. Kristappa Sangavaram.
Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said the father, an anesthesiologist, called 911 at 1:09 p.m. She said no suicide note was found.
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
Vovchik sand Sangavarm both practiced in New Jersey and co-owned their Rockland County home in New City. Police said there was no history of domestic dispute calls at the house.
Ava attends Woodglen Elementary School in New City. The school said grief counselors would be at the school on Friday.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new city, rockland county, stabbing, northern suburbs news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act