Northern Suburbs News
Police in Yonkers hunt gunman who shot pregnant woman
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who shot a pregnant woman Thursday night in Yonkers.
It happened just before 10 p.m. inside the vestibule of her apartment building at 541 Bronx River Road.
Police say the woman, who was 9 months pregnant, was shot once in the upper stomach area.
She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, where doctors performed an emergency caesarian section to deliver the baby.
The mother and the baby girl are both in stable condition.
So far there have been no arrests, but police do not believe this to be a random shooting.
Police say the victim was carrying a laundry bag as she walked through the building's first set of doors.
The suspect was standing near the intercom system.
Police say a nearby surveillance camera captured most of the incident that ended with the suspect firing one shot.
"She recognized me and said please help me," said a neighbor. "And I'm holding her hand, and she told me she got shot."
The woman lives alone in the building, and residents say she had just moved in a few months ago.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, baby, shooting, northern suburbs news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 45 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
45 min ago