Northern Suburbs News
Police in Yonkers hunt gunman who shot pregnant woman
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who shot a pregnant woman Thursday night in Yonkers.
It happened just before 10 p.m. inside the vestibule of her apartment building at 541 Bronx River Road.
Police say the woman, who was 9 months pregnant, was shot once in the upper stomach area.
She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, where doctors performed an emergency caesarian section to deliver the baby.
The mother and the baby girl are both in stable condition.
So far there have been no arrests, but police do not believe this to be a random shooting.
Police say the victim was carrying a laundry bag as she walked through the building's first set of doors.
The suspect was standing near the intercom system.
Police say a nearby surveillance camera captured most of the incident that ended with the suspect firing one shot.
"She recognized me and said please help me," said a neighbor. "And I'm holding her hand, and she told me she got shot."
The woman lives alone in the building, and residents say she had just moved in a few months ago.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, baby, shooting, northern suburbs news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 45 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
47 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos