Northern Suburbs News
Police in Yonkers hunt gunman who shot pregnant woman
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who shot a pregnant woman Thursday night in Yonkers.
It happened just before 10 p.m. inside the vestibule of her apartment building at 541 Bronx River Road.
Police say the woman, who was 9 months pregnant, was shot once in the upper stomach area.
She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, where doctors performed an emergency caesarian section to deliver the baby.
The mother and the baby girl are both in stable condition.
So far there have been no arrests, but police do not believe this to be a random shooting.
Police say the victim was carrying a laundry bag as she walked through the building's first set of doors.
The suspect was standing near the intercom system.
Police say a nearby surveillance camera captured most of the incident that ended with the suspect firing one shot.
"She recognized me and said please help me," said a neighbor. "And I'm holding her hand, and she told me she got shot."
The woman lives alone in the building, and residents say she had just moved in a few months ago.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, baby, shooting, northern suburbs news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 46 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 35 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 52 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos