Northern Suburbs News
Police in Yonkers hunt gunman who shot pregnant woman
YONKERS (WABC) -- Police are searching for the gunman who shot a pregnant woman Thursday night in Yonkers.
It happened just before 10 p.m. inside the vestibule of her apartment building at 541 Bronx River Road.
Police say the woman, who was 9 months pregnant, was shot once in the upper stomach area.
She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx, where doctors performed an emergency caesarian section to deliver the baby.
The mother and the baby girl are both in stable condition.
So far there have been no arrests, but police do not believe this to be a random shooting.
Police say the victim was carrying a laundry bag as she walked through the building's first set of doors.
The suspect was standing near the intercom system.
Police say a nearby surveillance camera captured most of the incident that ended with the suspect firing one shot.
"She recognized me and said please help me," said a neighbor. "And I'm holding her hand, and she told me she got shot."
The woman lives alone in the building, and residents say she had just moved in a few months ago.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
yonkers, baby, shooting, northern suburbs news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 28 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos