Northern Suburbs News
Officer's gun goes off in Ulster County high school
HIGHLAND, N.Y. -- A police officer on duty in an upstate New York high school accidentally fired a shot from his gun Tuesday.
The Highland Central School District says on its website that there were no staff or students nearby when Officer Sean McCutcheon's weapon went off in a hallway just after 1:30 p.m., and nobody was hurt.
McCutcheon is a town of Lloyd officer assigned as a resource officer at the school in the Hudson Valley town of Highland.
Town Supervisor Paul Hansut tells the Poughkeepsie Journal that McCutcheon was being questioned to determine what led to the gunshot.
Lloyd is in Ulster County, 65 miles south of Albany.
ulster county, gun, northern suburbs news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 1 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa 59 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos