Northern Suburbs News
Assemblyman who voted against legalizing marijuana busted with pot
ALBANY (WABC) -- New York state police say they've charged a Hudson Valley assemblyman with marijuana possession following a traffic stop for speeding on the Thruway.
Troopers say 59-year-old Stephen Katz of Mohegan Lake was stopped about 10 a.m. Tuesday in Coeymans south of Albany for driving 80 mph on the highway with a 65 mph speed limit.
They say he had less than 25 grams of marijuana and was given an appearance ticket for the violation.
He's due in Coeymans Town Court on March 28.
Calls to the Assembly offices of the Republican and Conservative, a veterinarian first elected in 2010, were not initially returned Friday.
Katz voted against the legalization of medical marijuana during a vote last June. It passed 91-52, with most Republicans voting against it.
marijuana, northern suburbs news
- Crews reach basement of East Harlem buildings
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 1 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 52 min ago
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 32 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams