Northern Suburbs News
Westport native among Marines killed in Nevada
WESTPORT (WABC) -- 23-year-old Roger Muchnick, who grew up in Westport and was a graduate of Staples High School, was among the Marines killed in a training accident in Nevada.
Muchnick, who'd been in the Marines for about three years, had served in Afghanistan and was considering returning to college after his enlistment was up. He played high school lacrosse and football in Westport, Conn., and later played lacrosse at Eastern Connecticut State University, where he studied business.
"Roger was such an amazing person as he consistently lit up a room with his smile. He was charismatic off-the-field, and hard-nosed and tough on the field. He will truly be missed," Justin Axel, head men's lacrosse coach Eastern Connecticut State University, said.
In a biography on the university's website, Muchnick said the one thing he would like to do before he died was "live," and his most embarrassing moment was getting caught lip-synching in a school talent show.
"He was at the top of his game when this happened," said his grandfather, Jerome Muchnick. "You can't imagine losing a very handsome, 23-year-old grandson who was vital and loving."
Funeral services haven't been announced.
The Marines killed on Monday night were based at Camp Lejeune, N.C. The explosion's cause remains under investigation.
nevada, marines, camp lejeune, northern suburbs news
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 51 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 56 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 45 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident