Northern Suburbs News
Joe Biden, Michael Bloomberg join Newtown families in new call for gun control
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Vice President Joe Biden says the Obama administration isn't giving up on an assault weapons ban, and he joined New York Cit Mayor Michael Bloomberg and families from Newtown, Connecticut, Thursday in a renewed call for gun control.
The group is pushing for what they call common-sense laws on the topic, but it comes as the U.S. Senate failed to even put up a vote on an assault weapons ban measure earlier this week.
Both Biden and Bloomberg have been outspoken in their efforts to push for tighter restrictions on guns, with Biden in charge of the nation's efforts to curb violent incidents like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.
Bloomberg has been on the forefront of the issue for years, even using his own personal wealth to challenge the NRA's influence in Washington, D.C.
The Senate dropped the assault weapons ban from its gun control package because of a lack of support.
Biden said the president's gun proposals don't infringe "one iota" on Second Amendment rights.
Mayor Bloomberg emphasized proposals for expanding background checks of gun buyers.
Bloomberg and Boston's Thomas Menino head a coalition called Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
Some Connecticut police officials also weighed in on the Senate's inaction.
"As I reflect today about that day, as much as I try to forget about it, I just can't," Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe said. "And I know that will give me the energy to move forward and hopefully make change in our society that we need.
Meanwhile, singer Tony Bennett and the Reverend Al Sharpton are planning to hold a gun control rally in uptown Manhattan Thursday.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, joe biden, michael bloomberg, gun control, northern suburbs news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 53 min ago
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 17 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
17 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
36 min ago