Northern Suburbs News
Governor Dan Malloy's Newtown panel to tackle mental health
HARTFORD -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's advisory panel that's reviewing the Newtown school shooting is turning its focus to mental health.
The Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is scheduled to hear Friday from experts on issues related to mental health care, public awareness and discrimination.
The meeting comes days after the commission forwarded the governor some preliminary recommendations on gun laws and school security, including universal background checks for guns.
Commission members expect to present the governor with a comprehensive final report within the year.
Meanwhile, gun control advocates on Friday plan to deliver letters to legislative leaders, who are crafting a bipartisan bill that addresses the shooting. The letters come from Newtown victims, survivors, clergy and other groups who support a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines and other gun control measures.
connecticut, school lockdown, shooting, newtown, newtown school shooting, mass shooting, northern suburbs news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 6 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
6 min ago