Northern Suburbs News
Driver stops for turkey, sparks 4-car crash
WAWARSING, N.Y. -- A New York driver who stopped for a turkey crossing the road inadvertently triggered a four-car crash that injured five people.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports (http://bit.ly/Y6jH9x ) that the accident happened around 12:30 p.m. Friday in Wawarsing in Ulster County.
The sheriff's office tells the newspaper that 71-year-old Roberta Decker had stopped her Toyota to allow a turkey to cross when she was struck from behind by a minivan.
Decker's car was pushed into the opposite lane of traffic and hit a Ford. Authorities say Decker's car then spun around and hit a Volkswagen.
The driver of the Ford was airlifted to Westchester Medical Center to be treated for head injuries.
Four other people were hospitalized for treatment of injuries. They included Decker and a passenger in her car.
ulster county, accident, northern suburbs news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 7 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 42 min ago
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 19 min ago
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 11 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos